Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Fold me in a Night of Sunshine (Poem)

I`ve been eaten by the world.
Fish feast on my ocean self,
and wolves cast about hungrily above for a remnant of my shadow,
for once it was strong and sticky,
a stitched companion glued with hazy feelings to my side.

Now free
zaftig shapes whisper in my direction
while I remain couchant amongst friends,
spreading my smile country to country,
wave to watery wave,
former ruin to a sleek concrete jungle.

Still, under a soft blanket of blue
floating lazily and weightless,
I feel sea animals nibble at me,
quietly having their fill of
my thoughts and darkest corners.

...and light as sunshine,
turquoise seaweed like eels coil around my chest
and comfort.
Escape from an ocean-wide space,
breathless watching tundras above me churn hungry wolves into cachinnating wınds.

I`ve been under these waters too long.
Even Poseidon grows weary
and prods me skyward,
needling me towards discomfort
and away from evenings at his side,
where once I soaked in a minimum of pain...

Where else to go but arid tundras,
to face those timber wolves hulking in the corners of spruce groves,
prowling around the wonderland of my mind,
awaiting my fall over the edge of the world after it's had its fill.

And so I stand,
chewed and fantod,
awaiting what? 
Has the feast ended?
Do days have an end?
A bramble of undercast questions
hidden in coral depths...

Give me simple days,
not tasting of sea brine where I have soaked for years,
watching shadow puppets carouse around the stage of my head.
Give me smooth days,
like the sinuous curve of a woman from hip to warmth.

Fold me in a night of sunshine
and I will give you what I know of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment