Friday, January 27, 2012

My Streets (Poem)

I wish the Andes hadn’t been silenced–
I wish the city cradling me during birth had yelled a little louder. 
I wish I had seen them take torches to the shoulder-high monte.

I saw the Andes burn,
how it heaved its ashes down crowded, ugly streets.
And wondered why those black flakes burned,
why they smeared my clothing,
And my father?
I saw him swimming,
head bowed to his Father,
flakes of white ash on his brow –
valley trees murmuring his name. 

I have always connected poetry to fire
whether my pen admitted it or not.  
I connected serenity to my city,
whether the children robbing me knew it or not –
I always heard the
humming
strumming
running
whether the crowd cared or not. 

In the winter, when the air burned my tongue,
and sun licked my eyes–
I turned to my mother,
and tumbled into her as waves upon sand.
and it was then I heard the mountains
and I craved…cradled,
words. Incessant fire.

1 comment: