Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Adventures of Lincoln Wilde: A Children's Story

Written by: Brennan Davis

--
Seriously, I have two last names for my first. It’s just Lincoln Wilde. My mom and dad never gave me a middle name, but with a full name like Lincoln Wilde Wagner it’s a good thing they didn’t! It sounds weird to a lot of people, but I think it's cool because I’m named after a famous president, wacky Irish author and German composer.

The thing that's not cool is that sometimes I get the feeling I'm not the only one in charge of my body. And I'm not talking about my mom asking me if I've brushed every tooth for 33 seconds, or my sister yelling at me about her rights as a teenager, and how that somehow means she never has to do the dishes.

No, I mean like there are things inside of me, little beings hustling back and forth giving orders and making life weird for me sometimes.

For example, one day Jarvis Jasper (I know, you would think people would make fun of HIS name too) accidentally punched me in no-contact football in PE and I blacked out for 3 minutes. I only met the brain that time, and he didn't seem too worried.

But, another day was totally different. I remember it clearly. I was lying down on the soft green grass lawn in our school's recess ground and I saw this cloud that looked like a heart. And not the Valentine's day heart you might be thinking about, but the real one, the one that pumps non-stop. And suddenly, I didn't know where I was!

It was the strangest trip I've taken so far.

I opened my eyes and was instantly pushed by a fiercely red platelet (at least that's what I heard someone yelling in the background) into the heart's muscular wall. “Watch out nincompoop! I'm trying to get to the lungs, move out of the way!” Sheesh, it was hectic wherever I was.

Everybody seemed to know what and where they were going, and looking around with confused eyes the size of dinner plates it didn't take me long to find the boss. He seemed overworked, but turned happy and boastful when I asked him where I was and why he was yelling so much.

 “SON!” he roared, all the while patting a sad blue platelet on the back or slapping a bright red daydreaming platelet in the face, “this is no picnic! You think I have it easy up here like the gallbladder and appendix's lives? They help pass things around, but when the day's done, your body doesn't need them!”

“We never stop working, and if it weren't for the emotional roller-coaster I have to keep in check, I would be a lot happier. I pump these lazy good-for-nothing platelets all day, every day, 24/7, no matter what. Even when you're sleeping I'm working this cardiac muscle!”

“But excuse me sir, I just wanted to...”

“No buts to me young man. You want me to keep your body systems full of blood? You want me to feed the brain, lungs, intestines, liver, stomach and everything else and not stop? Then you better move on, whered’ju say you were going?”

“Ummm, I didn’t say an….”

”Hey! You, aorta, keep moving those platelets, and take this kid up to see the brain, he’s been expecting him. Make sure to run your arteries nice and clean ONE WAY, don’t let any of those platelets coming back to me in veins get mixed up. Then we’ll have serious problems. Alright, off you go, we wouldn’t want that uppity brain getting impatient with us down here in the center of the body. He’s somehow involved in everything, some sort of control center for the nervous center he calls it. Bah, does he pump blood to the capillaries in the fingers? No, who does that you might ask?....”

And just like that I was whooshed through the aorta near my own neck and suddenly came to a floating halt in a room crowded with numbers, thoughts and smells. It seemed eerily familiar from the time I blacked out, but I tried not to think about it. There were so many rooms and places to go in the room I didn’t even know where to begin.

“Ahhhh, so you’ve deigned to come and visit me again, have you young man? And tell me, are you satisfied with my performance? Am I controlling the systems to your liking? Come on, speak up young man! Are you here to complain about that pesky digestive system passing gas on you in the middle of a test? Or even burping in front of Mrs. Bedford when she asked you how your lunch was? I’ve already reprimanded the digestive system for that, and then I always have to keep a close eye out on that stomach, who knows what he’ll try and burn up this time with his acid. I mean, come on, even though I’m 75% water, I still have almost 33 billion neurons firing huh? Which reminds me...”

“Wait! Slow down, I was just shot up here by the heart, he said you would be expecting me?”

“Ah yes, about that. Look Lincoln. All us systems in here enjoy how you’re progressing and all, but I have to tell you, we’re not getting enough information. I mean, from me to you, haha! From ME to YOU, I AM you, anyway. I have a lot of space to fill with trivia, statistics, facts, opinions, etc. and frankly, you’re not giving it to me fast enough. Just look at these rooms, how empty they are! My synapses are lightning fast and some people say I am capable of 70,000 thoughts per day! Can you believe that? I’ll also keep growing at least until you’re 18 years old, think of how powerful I could be!

“So, you think you could challenge me a bit? Push the limits? Get more answers? Take risks! Now there’s a good boy…ah, the lungs are calling you, threatening to cut off my oxygen levels if they don’t get to speak with you. Unfortunately I can’t live without oxygen, though I’m hesitant to tell them that, so you should go appease those two sacs of hot air. See you again soon, Lincoln? Remember, inquire and make me stronger, I like to work out like muscles too you know!”

And those were the last words I heard my brain speak to me that day, before I landed with a squishy squashy sound in what can only be described as a huge breathing bag of blood. Now don’t get disgusted, these lungs were really nice to me! I was hanging on to what they called the alveoli, when the Mr. Living Lung Boss came and took hold of my hand. He seemed fresh and happy.

“Glad to see you’re lying down a bit Lincoln, breathing in that coooool fresh air. AH! Doesn’t it just make you want to jump up and down with smiles? Oh, wait, you’re in here and out there is air and over there is…Ah, anyway, glad you spoke to the brain, he’s the thought center around here, I just take blood from the heart and oxygen from the windpipe (siiiiiiiiiigh) mix ‘em all up and shoot blood full of oxygen all around the body. Cool huh?!

Man, when you raced the other day in gym class you sure had all of us systems working over-time! Had the circulatory, respiratory and nervous systems going craaazy trying to get you to win that race. And win you did young Lincoln, well done! Keep that exercise coming, without that we get all lazy down here, you know? Exercise keeps my bloody friends over here whooshing in and out of all your muscles and organs and with that you can grow stronger. That’s it, that’s all I wanted to say, OH, and also, wake up! We’re slowing down which means you’re falling asleep! (Winks an eye)
“Lincoln, Lincoln, Lincoln are you okay? Is something on your mind?”

“Mrs. Bedford?”

“Yes Lincoln, I’ve been calling your name for a minute now and you’ve been here staring up at the clouds as if you’re talking with someone. Is something on your mind?”

“Ummm, yes, actually, what’s a synapse?”

“Now that’s an interesting question, where on earth did you hear that?”

--
(Illustration note: Brain winking to himself)


No comments:

Post a Comment